Help with a Federal Agency

One of the most important things I can do for you as your United States Senator is to serve as a liaison between you and the federal government. My staff and I can answer questions, find resources, and help resolve issues that you may be having with federal agencies. Our constituent relations representatives are here to help you, and are eager to hear from you and offer our assistance.

Due to the Constitution’s separation of powers, I cannot assist or intervene in any way with any legal actions, including both criminal or civil matters, that may go before a court. This includes child custody, divorce, criminal charges, trials or imprisonment. My office cannot investigate criminal activity. If you believe a crime has been committed, please dial 911. If you are seeking assistance with a case that involves a lawsuit or that is pending litigation and you need help finding an attorney, please contact the Alaska Bar Association (

For any casework related issues, please click the "Help with a Federal Agency" button below. Once submitted, a member of my staff will contact you as soon as possible. Please note that federal law requires your written authorization before we can take any action on your behalf. Although we cannot circumvent agency rules, force a decision in your favor, or change a decision that is already final, we can contact the agency on your behalf and ensure that your case is being handled properly.

I also encourage you to visit the “Frequently Asked Questions” section below, where we have provided answers to some commonly asked questions, including the types of issues my office is able to assist with, and what issues may need to be referred to local or state agencies. As a U.S. Senator, my staff has access to liaison offices for all federal agencies. For assistance with a non-federal agency or department, you should write to your representatives and/or senators in the Alaska Legislature (, or contact the Office of the Governor ( The staffers at these offices have more direct access to non-federal agencies and can better review your concerns.

If you have additional questions or need assistance, contact my office at or 907-271-5915

Thank you again for reaching out to me. As your United States Senator, it is my privilege to represent Alaskans and provide you with assistance at the federal level. I look forward to hearing from you.


General Federal Agency Information


Department of Veterans Affairs - 

In order us to contact a VA Regional Office (VARO) regarding benefits, a veteran must already have an active claim pending at the VARO. If you have not yet filed a claim, you can contact the VA directly for information on how to do so. Expediting claims for benefits will be considered if you are going to be homeless and have a letter from your landlord with intent to evict, or if there is an imminent medical emergency. 


Department of Defense (DOD) -

My staff does not review requests for recommendations for military service. The DOD and all branches of the military require signed authorization from the service member in order to release information regarding his or her case. 

Internal Revenue Service -  

In order for my office to open an inquiry with the IRS, you must also include your social security number and list the relevant tax years which you dispute.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) -  

All requests to expedite are reviewed on a case-by-case basis, and are granted at the discretion of the agency director. The criteria are: severe financial loss to company or individual, extreme emergency situation, humanitarian situation, nonprofit status of requesting organization in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States, Department of Defense national interest situation, USCIS error, or compelling interest of USCIS. The reason to expedite must be documented and verifiable. Cases that are in security check may take a while to clear. Cases that are in security check cannot be expedited. USCIS can be reached at 1-800-375-5283.

U.S. Department of State 

For visa cases pending a “security clearance,” my staff can check on the status of your case, but will not be able to request expedited or waiver of mandatory clearance procedures. If you are writing about a denied non-immigrant visa case, please keep in mind that there is no appeal option for such cases. If you are still interested in visiting the U.S., you should be prepared to reapply directly with the Consulate/Embassy. For additional information about traveling outside the U.S., please visit For emergency services for U.S. citizens abroad, please contact American Citizen Services at 1-202-736-4996.

Housing and Urban Development (HUD) -

If you are having difficulties with your mortgage and would like more information about current government housing programs, we highly suggest you call and speak with a HUD Housing Counselor. Foreclosure prevention counseling and homeless counseling services are available free of charge through this program. Housing counseling agencies participating in HUD's Housing Counseling Program are not permitted to charge consumers for these specific housing counseling services. Counseling recipients should not pay for these services. However, housing counseling agencies are permitted to charge reasonable and customary fees for other forms of housing counseling and education services, including pre-purchase, reverse mortgage, rental, and non-delinquency post-purchase counseling services, provided certain conditions are met. The HUD housing counselor interactive voice response system can be reached at 1-800-569-4287. Free telephone counseling is available 24/7 from the national HOPE hotline at 1-888-995-4673.

Social Security Administration (SSA) -

Please be as clear as possible when outlining your concerns with SSA. The agency is only able to address your concerns as they are outlined in your letter to my office. All requests for assistance with SSA must include the person’s name, contact information, Social Security number, and a Privacy Release Form. This form must be signed by the person involved, or proof of Power of Attorney must be provided. It is helpful if you include copies of recent correspondence with the agency. Expedite Requests: Please refer to the SSA’s Hearings, Appeals and Litigation Law Manual (HALLEX) for more explicit qualifications at: If you would like to apply for expedited processing, please provide my office with evidence and documentation, as outlined by HALLEX, demonstrating why you need your case expedited. 


Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) - 

Please be as clear as possible when outlining your concerns with CMS. The agency will only be able to address your concerns as they are outlined in your letter to me. It is helpful if you include copies of recent correspondence with the agency. 


State Agency Inquiries 

My office can make inquiries with federal agencies, however, if you have an issue with a state agency or policy you need to contact your state representative or state senator. You can find out who your representatives are by visiting: